Wednesday, December 7, 2011

News articles and links from Dec. 7, 2011

Water supply

Has human water use peaked in California?


By Jay Lund/Ellen Hanak

From California WaterBlog - Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011

For over a century, water planning and policy in California assumed perpetual increases in water demands for agricultural and urban uses. Of course, nothing can increase forever, but for several generations it seemed reasonable that almost any high water demand forecast would eventually be exceeded.

Coalition response...There is one portion of this informative article that could use some clarification. The authors write, "In agriculture, perhaps 80 percent of gross water use is lost to plant evaportranspiration, so net water use is roughly 2.4 af/acre." This statement is technically correct but it may allow the casual reader to think that 80 percent of ag water is "lost." While this water may be "lost" for recycled purposes, it is consumed by the plant which is the original purpose of the irrigation...that's the goal. The remaining 20 percent of water in this example may be recycled through groundwater recharge or to other uses, such as agricultural, urban or environmental.

To the contrary, if 50 percent of urban water goes to the sewer system and CAN be recycled, that doesn't mean it IS recycled. How much treated urban wastewater returns to rivers? Is it a good idea to recycle all of that? Studies have documented that treated wastewater discharged into the Sacramento River from the City of Sacramento has harmed the ecosystem of the Delta.

The authors should be complimented on this presentation and we all should remember that water and its use in California is a very challenging issue to understand.


Wanger changes mind, won't represent water district in suit


From The Record - Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011

Statement from Thomas W. Birmingham regarding Oliver W. Wanger and Westlands Water District

Press release

From Westlands Water District - Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011

Wanger cuts legal ties to Westlands Water District


From Fresno Bee - Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011

Judge who became attorney for California water district steps away from the job


From Contra Costa Times - Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011

Wanger backs out of representing Westlands Water District


By Dan Bacher

From IndyBay Media


Court considers Colorado River water agreement


From Ag Alert - Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011


Water cures all of Bay-Delta's ills


By Pete Ottesen

From The Record - Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011

Residents feel left out of Delta planning, study finds


From Capital Press - Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011


Sacramento River fluctuations put salmon eggs at risk during run


From Red Bluff Daily News - Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011


Excessive Endangered Species Act litigation threatens species recovery, job creation and economic growth

Press release

From Natural Resources Committee - Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment